Cours de français gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

• Accueil
  • Accès rapides
  • Imprimer
  • Livre d'or
  • Plan du site
  • Recommander
  • Signaler un bug
  • Faire un lien

• Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon de français !

> Recommandés:
    -Jeux gratuits
    -Nos autres sites

Use/little,a little,the little

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Use/little,a little,the little
    Message from ayeshapak posted on 16-11-2015 at 08:53:23 (D | E | F)
    Hello,
    Could you help me please?
    I need to know the correct usage of "little,a little and the little". I have to prepare my test and want to know the correct differences with examples.
    Thanks for help

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 16-11-2015 10:02

Re: Use/little,a little,the little from floflor, posted on 16-11-2015 at 12:44:07 (D | E)
    Hello,
    Here are some examples with an explanation:

There is a little milk in the glass. = There is milk in the glass, yet the glass is not full of milk.
    => "a little" is positive. It means the same as "a small amount of"
    There is little milk in the glass. = There is nearly no milk in the glass.
    => "little" is neagative. It means the same as "not much"
    The little time we spent on reading the text was not enough to be able to answer the questions. = We spent little time on reading, thus we could not answer the questions in the end.
    => "the little" is negative. It means the same as "not much", and it is used with something definite (here: "time").

Also, bear in mind that "(a/the) little" is used only with uncountable nouns, such as "time", "milk", "water", "bread"...
    "The little" can also be part of a nominal group, such in the sentence"The little birds [are tweeting in the trees.]. Here, "little" is an adjective which means "small".
    I hope this helps.
    Best

Re: Use/little,a little,the little from ayeshapak, posted on 16-11-2015 at 13:40:01 (D | E)
    Thank you very much.

Re: Use/little,a little,the little from mitali, posted on 24-11-2015 at 11:31:20 (D | E)
    Thank you for sharing.

Re: Use/little,a little,the little from bluduck2, posted on 26-11-2015 at 19:39:22 (D | E)
    Hello ayeshapak !
    I tell the students it's a question of point of view ,with this example:
    You have a week-end job in a shop and the shop owner gives you £30. He considers it's quite good wages for what you actually do ,so he says "I give him a little money,he/she should be thankful.
    But you would like to buy a new(expensive!) smartphone,so you say "the shopowner gives me little money ,I'll have to find another job!"
    The shopkeeper gives you a few £(=pounds ),you think he gives you too few £ =pounds !
    I hope this helps !
    Bluduck2

-------------------
    Edited by lucile83 on 26-11-2015 19:48
    Mind the colours please.

Re: Use/little,a little,the little from ayeshapak, posted on 27-11-2015 at 07:31:40 (D | E)
    Thank you!

Re: Use/little,a little,the little from gerondif, posted on 27-11-2015 at 11:06:27 (D | E)
    Hello,
    a few and a little can have a positive meaning, few and little can have a negative meaning:
    I have a little money: I have enough to live.
    I have little money, very little money: I don't have enough to live, it is hard to make ends meet.
    I have a few good friends, I value them and am happy to have them, I don't need more,I have enough friends.
    I have few friends, I feel lonely. I wish I had more.

"Oh, look at the little bird!" little means small and cute, I used to tell my pupils that if they were an ant and saw a bird as big as a mountain land near them, they wouldn't say "Oh, look at that little bird!"

a little will be used to modify an adjective:
    I am a little tired, a bit tired.

Re: Use/little,a little,the little from ayeshapak, posted on 01-12-2015 at 08:20:55 (D | E)
    Thank you!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Recevez une leçon par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU DE FRANÇAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
    Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provencal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] [Plan du site] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies.
    | Cours et exercices de français 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux