Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de gizm0 posté le 2004-05-12 20:22:39 (S | E | F | I)
Grammar Tips

Singular or Plural?

All/Any/None All, any, and none
These words can be singular or plural. If you mean all of it, any of it, or none of it, use a singular verb.
He/Her/They
Always use the singular he or her with such words as anybody, anyone, everybody, everyone, nobody, no one, somebody, someone, each, either, and neither
ics words
Words that end in ics - like economics, mathematics, politics, statistics - are singular
What
What can also be singular or plural. If what stands for one thing, use a singular verb. If it stands for several things, use a plural verb.
Anybody's, everybody's, somebody's, and nobody's
These words are always plural.
Couple, total, majority, and number
These words can be singular or plural.
Making Words Plural

Names
Form the plural by adding s, even if the last letter is y. If the name ends in s, sh, ch, x, or z, add es.
Proper Word Choice

However
Do not use however at the beginning of a sentence
I or me
Use me after a proposition: words like after, before, by, like, toward, with. An easy way to determine whether to write you and me or you and I is to put the tricky pronoun - me or I - first.
Its/It's
It's is short for it is; its is the possessive form of it, as in: "The corporation gave its assent to proceed.
Lay or Lie
Lie means to recline or fib; lay means to place
Rise or Raise
Rise means to go up or get up; raise means to bring something up.
Sit or Set
Sit means to be seated; set means to place.
That or Which
Eliminate the needless use of which. Only use which in two instances:
which goes inside commas
if you can drop the clause and not lose the meaning of the sentence, use which
Their/There/They're
Their is the possessive form of they. There is the opposite of here. They're is shorthand for they are.
Use or Used
In a question, choose use. Did use is another way of saying used.
Who or Whom
Who does sometimes (it's a subject). Whom has something done to it (it's an object, like him). You might try mentally substituting he or him for who or whom; if him fits, you want whom. Who is doing what to whom.
Who's or Whose
If you can substitute who is or who has, use who's
Will or Would
If the lead verb is past tense, use would. If the lead verb is present tense, use will.
Your or You're
If you can substitute you are, use you're
Possessives

If word is singular, add 's, even if the ending is s, z, or x. If the word is plural and doesn't already end in s, add 's. If the word is plural and ends in s, just add the '.

If two people possess something in common, consider them a single unit and put a single 's at the end. If two people possess something individually, each name gets an 's.

Verbs

Subjects and verbs must agree. If the subject is singular, so is the verb. If the subject is plural, so is the verb.

In a sentence that begins: I wish I or If I, always use the word were, not was.

Colloquial Phrases

Do not use colloquial phrases or clichés. Never use the following words in formal writing:

ain't, could've, should've, would've, might've, must've, it'd, that'd, there'd, this'd, what'd, that'all, that're, that've, there'll, there're, there've, this'll, when'll, when're, when's, where'd, where'll, where're, where's, why're, why's why've, gonna, gotta, wanna.

Punctuation

A comma separates phrases; a semi-colon separates complete sentences.

pris de:
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/writing_guides/grammar.cfm

Réponse: re de chrisg, postée le 2004-05-12 20:58:29 (S | E)
quelle verve ce soir !

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux