Myths and heroes/aideCours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas
Message de alicecousin1512 posté le 13-05-2018 à 17:45:12 (S | E | F)
pouvez-vous m'aider à corriger mes fautes s'il vous plait?.
Today I am going to speak about the notion of Myths and heroes. First of all, a myth is a real or a fake story about a hero. And a hero is a person who is admired for his or her achievements, courage and noble qualities because he or she has done something special and brave. Two types of heroes exist, the fictional one in mythology and the real ones like Martin Luther King. Now i’m going to speak about the myth of the American dream to answer to the question « In what American dream is a myth and is it a real or a false myth ?»
I will first briefly recall what’s the American Dream, the song American Land by Bruce Springsteen illustrate well this myth.The American Dream is characterized by the idea of an America full of promises and very attractive. It lets people think that anybody living in America, thanks to courage, work and determination, can succeed. People can arrive with noting and make fortunes. Indeed foreigners came to America to begin a new and better life. The song summarizes the vision that a majority of immigrants had of America. It pays tribute to the working class which built the cities with their hands and sweat. The immigrants wanted to leave their native country because they wanted to escape misery and they dreamed of a better way of life like the singer. In this song we also can underscore the reference to heroes, such as J.F Kennedy and Martin Luther King.
By speaking about heroes, an other document can illustrate the American Dream with a hero. This hero is Uncle Sam, a commun personification of the American government and in this cartoon by Karl, we can see little character who are working on him. In fact they are cleaning and preparing him. They seem to be immigrants from different origin. In my opinion they came because of the American dream but in reality they seem to don’t have a better way of life in America. The fact that Uncle Sam is bigger than the immigrant show that many American believe that the « pure » Americans are more important than the immigrants so in this cartoon the American dream is not real. In fact many people criticize the idea of the American dream because they say that it’s impossible for everybody to be able to fulfill their dreams.
Indeed, in reality the American dream is not a success for everybody. This reality is well illustrated thanks to the photography Louisville Flood by Margaret Bourke-White. In fact the photo is based on a contrast between the foreground and the background, between Africans and Americans. The African are queuing up and the publicity in the background is showing a white family living the American way of life. The American Way of life, promoted by Hollywood is the model of a family living in a beautiful house with a garden, a car, children who are going to go to university and in turn live the American Way of life.This photo underlines that some people are left out from the system. In reality all US citizens are not equal. I think the photographer’s goal is to make people realize that a part of the population in USA are confronted with a social and economic problem. Poverty can exist in a rich society with a high standard of living such as the United States.
To conclude, the American dream is a false myth full of promise and heroes. Unfortunately, in the twentieth century a lot of immigrant came to USA to have a better way of life but they never achieved their goals.
Modifié par lucile83 le 13-05-2018 18:42
Réponse : Myths and heroes/aide de laure95, postée le 14-05-2018 à 10:24:52 (S | E)
- And (pas de and en début de phrase)a hero is a person who is admired for his or her achievements,
- Two types of heroes exist, the fictional one (pluriel)in mythology and the real ones like Martin Luther King.
- i’m: majuscule.
- to answer to (enlever to) the question « In what (il manque un mot)(article)American dream is a myth and is it a real or a false myth ?»
-what’s the American Dream: ordre des mots.
- the song American Land by Bruce Springsteen illustrate (faute de conjugaison) well this myth.
- noting: orthographe.
- and make fortunes (singulier).
- we can see little character (pluriel) who are working on him: mal dit.
- different origin (pluriel).
- to don’t have: mal construit.
- The fact that Uncle Sam is bigger than the immigrant show (faute de conjugaison)
- thanks to the photography (il manque un participe passé)Louisville Flood by Margaret Bourke-White.
- who are going to go to (enlever go et to)university
- a part of the population in USA are (singulier) confronted with a social and economic(al) problem.
- a lot of immigrant (pluriel) came to (article)USA to have a better way of life
Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais