Cours de français gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

• Accueil
  • Accès rapides
  • Imprimer
  • Livre d'or
  • Plan du site
  • Recommander
  • Signaler un bug
  • Faire un lien

• Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon de français !

> Recommandés:
    -Jeux gratuits
    -Nos autres sites

Set of translations/help

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais : Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Set of translations/help
    Message de vaiana posté le 06-10-2022 à 17:14:23 (S | E | F)
    Hello everyone Would you mind pointing out the mistakes I made in translating these new sentences please? Thanks

1. Je me suis brûlée en enlevant le couvercle.
    I burnt myself in/while removing the lid.

2. Allume l'ordinateur et tire les rideaux !
    Power up the computer and pull the curtains!

3. Comme d'habitude, Helen voulait se mettre en avant.
    As usual, Helen wanted to get herself noticed.

4. Ça fait plusieurs années que je n'ai pas eu besoin de voir un médecin.
    It's been several years since I (last) needed to see a physician.
    I haven't needed to see a physician for several years.

5. À force de menaces, ils l'ont amené à dire la vérité.
    They threatened him into telling the truth.
    They threatened him out of lying.

6. Tu n'aurais pas dû choisir ce pantalon parmi ceux qui t'ont été proposés : il te va mal.
    You should have not chosen these pants from among the ones you were offered: they don't fit/ suit you.
    You might have not wanted to choose these pants from among the ones you were offered: they don't fit/ suit you.

7. Merci, c'est gentil, mais ce n'est pas la peine de faire tout ça.
    Thanks, it's kind of you, but it isn't worth doing all of that/ it's not worthwhile to do all of that.

8. Tant que tu ne m'auras pas dit ton âge, je ne te laisserai pas rentrer.
    As long as you haven't disclosed your age to me/ Until you don't disclose your age to me, I'm not going to let you in/ you're not going to be allowed in.

9. Jean et sa sœur se ressemblent beaucoup. Ils s'entendent bien mais il leur arrive parfois de se disputer.
    Jean and his sister look very much alike/ resemble each other very much. They get on (with each other) very well, but it sometimes happens that they argue/ get into an argument.

10. Les voleurs se sont fait donner la clé de la banque par le directeur, mais ils n'ont pas pu faire en sorte que le coffre s'ouvre.
    The thieves made the bank director give them the key of the premises but they couldn't (seem to/manage to) get the strongbox opened.

11. Les preuves données par les témoins indiquent qu'il est possible que le cambrioleur ait été un espion américain.
    Proof provided/supplied with by the witnesses indicates that the burglar may have been an American spy.

12. Chacun des enseignants de la classe de Jimmy essaye de faire comprendre aux élèves que sa discipline est la plus importante.
    Each teacher from Jimmy's class tries to get their students to understand that their subject is the most substantial one.

13. Faites sentir au lecteur que tout ce que vous dites est vrai. Le but est de vous faire comprendre.
    Make the reader feel that everything you state is true. The aim for you is to get comprehended.

14. Si tu me fais passer la carte qui est sur l'étagère, je pourrai te faire voir l'endroit où vit mon grand-père.
    If you give me the card which is on the shelf, I will be able to show you around the place my grandfather lives in. [Or "lives at" ]

15. L'idée de voyager dans l'espace fascine les hommes depuis longtemps.
    The idea of going up into space has been marveling mankind for centuries.

Thanks

Réponse : Set of translations/help de traviskidd, postée le 06-10-2022 à 21:06:17 (S | E)
    Hello

2. OK, or "Turn on the computer"
    4. OK, or "doctor".
    5. OK, or maybe "They threatened the truth out of him."
    6. shouldn't have
    "fit" for size (too big, too small), "suit" otherwise
    7. OK, but can you really say "ce n'est pas la peine"? I would have said "ça ne vaut pas la peine".
    8. Definitely not "Until you don't".
    I think you're missing a word for "rentrer".
    9. In English, "Jean" is a female's name. Are you sure you want to say that a male resembles his sister?
    get along
    10. key to
    OK, or "weren't able".
    11. If it doesn't prove, it's not proof.
    12. You should translate "important" directly.
    13. make yourself understood, or maybe "get people to understand where you're coming from"
    14. I prefer "hand" to "give", and "where my grandfather lives".
    15. I would translate "fascine" and "longtemps" directly.

See you.

Réponse : Set of translations/help de vaiana, postée le 07-10-2022 à 00:32:07 (S | E)
    Thanks for this correction

1. I burned myself while removing the lid / while taking the lid off.
    I don't understand why "in" doesn't fit well here. Is there another word I could use instead of "while"?

2. Power/turn the computer up and pull the curtains!

3. As usual, Helen wanted to get herself noticed.

4. It's been several years since I (last) needed to see my physician/doctor.
    I haven't needed to see a physician/doctor for several years.

5. They threatened him into telling the truth.
    They threatened him out of lying.
    They threatened the truth out of him => is this the one that you would say the most naturally?

6. Tu n'aurais pas dû choisir ce pantalon parmi ceux qui t'ont été proposés : il te va mal.
    You shouldn't have chosen these pants from among the ones that were offered to you: they don't fit/suit you.
    Is "among" extraneous after "to choose from"? Can I add "among" each time I have to say "choose from"?

You might have not wanted to choose these pants from among the ones you were offered: they don't fit/ suit you => is this right, too?

7. OK, but can you really say "ce n'est pas la peine"? Yes, you can. I would have said "ça ne vaut pas la peine". Both mean the same but the first one is more common, especially its colloquial versions "c'est pas la peine" and "pas la peine."
    "Ça ne vaut pas la peine de faire ça" sounds a bit off to me, though. I would say "faire ça n'en vaut pas la peine."

Thanks, it's kind of you, but it isn't worth doing all of that/ it's not worthwhile to do all of that.

8. As long as you haven't disclosed your age to me, I'm not going to let you enter/in.

9. Jean and his sister look very much alike/ resemble each other very much. They get along very well, but it sometimes happens that they argue/ get into an argument. => why not "get on"? "To get on with someone" is what I was taught at school

In the original sentence in French, Jean is a male (you can figure it out because of the "ils," it would have been "elles" if he were a girl) I assume he resembles his sister when it comes to facial features All of these sentences aren't from me, if you ever doubt it

10. The thieves made the bank director give them the key to the premises but they couldn't (manage to/seem to) get the strongbox opened.

11. Evidence provided/supplied with by the witnesses indicates that the burglar may have been an American spy.

12. Each teacher from Jimmy's class tries to get their students to understand that their subject is the most important one => why not "substantial"? they both mean the same, don't they?

13. Make the reader feel that everything you state is true. The aim for you is to get people to understand where you're coming from.

14. If you hand me the card which is on the shelf, I will be able to show you around the place where my grandfather lives.

15. The idea of going up into space has been fascinating mankind for a long time.

Réponse : Set of translations/help de traviskidd, postée le 07-10-2022 à 16:22:09 (S | E)
    Hello.

1. I can't think of a better word than "while". "In" could maybe be used instead of "by", but I would still prefer "by".
    2. Turn on (not "up")
    5. I would most naturally say "threatened him into". I was just providing an alternative that was more "resultative".
    6. I probably wouldn't use "among", but it's not wrong.
    7. Thanks for the info. The more I realize French is as illogical as it appears, the more comfortable I am with it
    8. You want to translate "rentrer", not "entrer".
    9. Oh yes, "elles" for only girls. I should have noticed
    I thought I'd put an American flag beside "get along". "Get on" is British. (I also put a flag after "burned" in the first sentence, which you must have seen because you changed it in your correction.)
    12. "Substantial" doesn't mean "important" in the sense of "necessary".

See you.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais : Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Recevez une leçon par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU DE FRANÇAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
    Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provencal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] [Plan du site] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies.
    | Cours et exercices de français 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux