Cours de français gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

• Accueil
  • Accès rapides
  • Imprimer
  • Livre d'or
  • Plan du site
  • Recommander
  • Signaler un bug
  • Faire un lien

• Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon de français !

> Recommandés:
    -Jeux gratuits
    -Nos autres sites

English tenses/help

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

English tenses/help
    Message de seathas posté le 04-11-2015 à 07:42:35 (S | E | F)
    Good evening everyone.

I want to know why in the following sentence we use Past + PP and not Past + Past continuous
    Tammy looked at the clock and realized she had worked for half an hour (correct)
    I want to know why this one is not correct (Tammy looked at the clock and realized she was working for half an hour)
    I want to know also, why we don't add 'that' :Tammy looked at the clock and realized that she had worked for half an hour

Another sentence I wrote was ( Sometimes, life plays games on us and we end up with a person we would never have thought we will end up with )
    and my teacher corrected it ( Sometimes, life plays games on us and we end up with a person we would never have thought we would end up with) but I don't understand why he replaced will by would.

Thank you for your time.
    Please if someone has a list that shows the usage of in/on I would be happy to have it.

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 04-11-2015 08:15

Réponse: English tenses/help de gerondif, postée le 04-11-2015 à 16:06:26 (S | E)
    Hello,
    You say:
    I want to know why in the following sentence we use Past + PP and not Past + Past continuous
    So, it should have been:
    Tammy looked at the clock and realized she had been working for half an hour
    Yours was correct too but was more a description of a fact than a description of an action that had been going on for some time.

Of course, if you think in French (elle travaillait depuis une demi-heure), you might wonder why you can't use "She was working".

Look at this sentence:
    She was working when the phone rang.Correct.
    If you add a tense complement introduced by for or since, you will have to "upgrade" that past continuous into:
    She had been working for half an hour, since two o'clock, when the phone rang and interrupted her work.

( Sometimes, life plays games on us and we end up with a person we would never have thought we would end up with) Well, it is a simple question of logic in the use of times.

I don't think I will meet her.
    I didn't think I would meet her.
    I had never thought I would meet her one day.

Réponse: English tenses/help de seathas, postée le 04-11-2015 à 23:12:42 (S | E)
    Thank you. but I still don't really understand

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 04-11-2015 23:17

Réponse: English tenses/help de traviskidd, postée le 05-11-2015 à 01:30:31 (S | E)
    Hello.

"She had worked for half an hour" - elle avait accompli le fait de travailler pendant une demi-heure.
    "She had been working for half an hour" - elle avait passé la dernière demi-heure en travaillant; ça faisait une demi-heure qu'elle travaillait

"That" is optional when referring to a (grammatical) object or when introducing a dependent clause:
    - "There is the cake (that) I want to eat."
    - "I know (that) you want to eat that cake."

As for "would", in addition to being the conditional, it also serves as the "past future":
    - He said, "I will meet her tomorrow." --> He said he would meet her the following/next day.

See you.

Réponse: English tenses/help de seathas, postée le 05-11-2015 à 23:33:39 (S | E)
    Ah thank you so much!! to all of you. Now I understand better.

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 06-11-2015 07:30

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Recevez une leçon par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU DE FRANÇAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
    Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provencal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] [Plan du site] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies.
    | Cours et exercices de français 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux