Cours de français gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

• Accueil
  • Accès rapides
  • Imprimer
  • Livre d'or
  • Plan du site
  • Recommander
  • Signaler un bug
  • Faire un lien

• Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon de français !

> Recommandés:
    -Jeux gratuits
    -Nos autres sites

Present simple/continuous

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Present simple/continuous
    Message from mohammad51 posted on 14-01-2020 at 20:53:24 (D | E | F)
    Hello
    Please, I hope you help me with this :
    present simple or continuous ?

Q 1 : Choose the correct answer to describe the picture. (The photo shows a man running)
    a) Ted is a good rugby player. He is playing rugby for two hours every day.
    b) Ted is being a good rugby player. He plays rugby for two hours every day.
    c) Ted is a good rugby player. He play rugby for two hours every day.
    d) Ted is a good rugby player. He plays rugby for two hours every day.
    I suggest A because it implies ( period ) >> for two hours

Q 2 : Choose the correct answer to describe the picture. The picture shows a woman looks happy that she finished her work
    a) Nan has a lot of work today. She is finishing the new list of rules right now.
    b) Nan is having a lot of work today. She is finishing the new list of rules right now.
    c) Nan has a lot of work today. She finishes the new list of rules right now.
    d) Nan is having a lot of work today. She finishes the new list of rules right now.

My question about 2 is ( is having a lot of work ) OK ? OR ( has a lot of work ) is also correct ?
    Here is the page where I got the exercise : 1 and 2 in the top of the page
    Link

Re: Present simple/continuous from mohammad51, posted on 15-01-2020 at 10:11:53 (D | E)
    Hello
    The page suggests the following answers
    Q 1
    Answer Key

1. d) Ted is a good rugby player. He plays rugby for two hours every day.
    Q 2
    a) Nan has a lot of work today. She is finishing the new list of rules right now.
    ----
    I noticed another question was answered as :

a) Julian knows how to scuba dive. He is diving every day this month.

So, please look at these :
    1. He plays rugby for two hours every day. >>> the present simple is the solution.
    2. He is is diving every day this month. >> the present continuous is the solution.

Does it depend on the last adverb ?
    I know the present simple is the choice with ( every day)
    And the present continuous is used with ( this month )
    But why in 1 ( for two hours ) is not taken into consideration ?
    Isn't a period , thus the present continuous is more normal ?

Re: Present simple/continuous from gerondif, posted on 16-01-2020 at 16:30:20 (D | E)
    Hello
    mistakers inblue.
    Q 1 : Choose the correct answer to describe the picture. (The photo shows a man running)
    a) Ted is a good rugby player. He is playing rugby for two hours every day.
    b) Ted is being a good rugby player. He plays rugby for two hours every day.
    c) Ted is a good rugby player. He play (plays) rugby for two hours every day.
    d) Ted is a good rugby player. He plays rugby for two hours every day.
    I suggest A because it implies ( period ) >> for two hours wrong . Every day implies a habit.

Q 2 : Choose the correct answer to describe the picture. The picture shows a woman who looks happy that she finished to have finished her work
    b) Nan is having(wrong, to have meaning to possess doesn't accept the ing form. To have meaning to eat, to consume, to drink would accept the ing form; I am having a beer) a lot of work today. She is finishing the new list of rules right now.
    c) Nan has a lot of work today. She finishes the new list of rules right now.
    d) Nan is having a lot of work today. She finishes the new list of rules right now.

My question about 2 is ( is having a lot of work ) OK ? No OR ( has a lot of work ) is also correct ?
    Here is the page where I got the exercise : 1 and 2 in the top of the page

Julian knows how to scuba dive. He is diving every day this month. Here, the ing form insists on a craze, a voluntary insistance on that diving. he is diving everyday means he insists on diving every day this month.
    If you had only every day, you could say, he dives everyday. But by adding this month, you insist on an exception. He normally only dives in summer but this month, he is diving every day because he will have an exam soon !

Re: Present simple/continuous from mohammad51, posted on 16-01-2020 at 17:45:31 (D | E)
    Hello
    Thank you dear teacher gerondif,
    So, I think it depends on the last adverb of time in the example ..( every day \ this month )
    Every day is usually used with present simple
    This month either ( present perfect or also present continuous)
    If we remove this month from sentence 2 : Julian knows how to scuba dive. He is diving every day this month.
    Julian knows how to scuba dive. He is diving every day.
    Then surly the present simple is the choice
    And that why I think the last adverb is the key point, thus we depend on.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Recevez une leçon par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU DE FRANÇAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
    Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provencal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] [Plan du site] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies.
    | Cours et exercices de français 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux