Cours de français gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

• Accueil
  • Accès rapides
  • Imprimer
  • Livre d'or
  • Plan du site
  • Recommander
  • Signaler un bug
  • Faire un lien

• Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon de français !

> Recommandés:
    -Jeux gratuits
    -Nos autres sites

Prepositional phrases/function

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Prepositional phrases/function
    Message from mohammad51 posted on 28-01-2021 at 16:47:00 (D | E | F)
    Hello
    Good evening
    Please if any one could suggest or correct my answers if there are any errors with.
    Thank you in advance

Prepositional phrases adjective or adverb phrases ?
    All the answers, next to each question, are mine.

Circle the adverb or adjective phrase in each sentence, then tell what kind it is.
    1. Walt scored fourteen points in twenty minutes. (adv phrase how much points scored )
    2. The carpenter slipped off the ladder. Off the ladder ( adverb) = where
    3. The Mardi Gras parade goes along Canal Street. Adverb
    4. Ms. Reyes solved the problem about your claim. Adjective
    5. The tape pulled a patch of paint from the wall. Where \ adv
    6. Many of the viewers responded to the poll. Adv ( how they respond modifies the verb )
    7. The information in the ad was incorrect. Adjective
    8. In summer we eat dinner on the porch. Where adv
    9. The bank served coffee to the customers in line. How adv
    10. The paper with no title belongs to me. Which adjective
    11. During the bus ride I talked with my seat mate. Adv how I spend the time
    12. The dime slipped between the slats of the boardwalk. Where adv
    13. Gold and silver jewelry rose sharply in price. Adv \ adv
    14. Two of the candidates withdrew after the first primary. When ( adv)
    15. Few of the landlords live on the premises. Where adv
    16. The watchdog slept under the counter. Adverb
    17. People in street shoes aren’t allowed in the gym. Adjective
    18. At the party Ed danced only with Sue. Adverb
    19. The country of Burma isolates itself from the West. Adjective
    20. Nobody but Sue could think of a plan like that. Object of the verb think \ adv manner of thinking

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from gerondif, posted on 28-01-2021 at 23:40:39 (D | E)
    Hello
    I don't understand at all what you are trying to do.

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from mohammad51, posted on 29-01-2021 at 07:31:58 (D | E)
    Hello
    OK, I explain dear teacher gerondif
    The prepositional phrases can do the function of adjective , adverb as well as nouns when a prepositional phrase introduces a sentence acting a subject of the sentence .
    Examples :
    Before ten is a bad time to call him.
    Under the freezer is absolutely disgusting!
    In my post, I only tell about adjectives and adverbs phrases and no example of the above I brought.

Circle the adverb or adjective phrase in each sentence, then tell what kind it is.
    1. If a prepositional phrase can tell ( where or when , how , to what extent ) = adverb
    ( especially modifying the verb describing the action). However, adverbs can modify nouns, adjectives and other adverbs

2. If it prepositional phrase tells ( which ) describing or modifying nouns = no doubt = adjective
    ( does the function of adjective as any adjective in the language )
    Perhaps because I didn't mention the phrases, you didn't understand what I was telling about.
    Anyway, I think that I made it clear above

1. Walt scored fourteen points in twenty minutes. >> in twenty minutes = (adv phrase how much points scored )
    2. The carpenter slipped off the ladder. Off the ladder Off the ladder >>> ( adverb) = where
    3. The Mardi Gras parade goes along Canal Street. along Canal Street = Adverb (where )
    4. Ms. Reyes solved the problem about your claim.
    about your claim ( which problem) modifies the word noun problem, so in this case= Adjective
    6. Many of the viewers responded to the poll. Adv to the poll >> ( how they respond modifies the verb )
    7. The information in the ad was incorrect.
    in the ad > ( which information we are telling about = the information in the ad , so Adjective
    8. In summer we eat dinner on the porch. on the porch = clear it tells about location (Where), so adv
    10. The paper with no title belongs to me. = Which paper, so adjective
    12. The dime slipped between the slats of the boardwalk. Where adv
    14. Two of the candidates withdrew after the first primary. When ( time) ( adv)
    17. People in street shoes aren’t allowed in the gym. Adjective ( those who are wearing street shoes )
    19. The country of Burma isolates itself from the West. Adjective (of Burma ) specialized ( which country )
    20. Nobody but Sue could think of a plan like that. Object of the verb think \ adv manner of thinking

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from gerondif, posted on 29-01-2021 at 13:06:49 (D | E)
    Hello
    I really don't understand what you are doing, I don't see the point of it. I see object cases or indications of location or duration, what is the point of wanting to describe an adjectival or adverbial role to it ?

1. Walt scored fourteen points in twenty minutes. >> in twenty minutes = (adv phrase how much many points scored ) ok, you could replace it by "very fast" , an adverb, for me it is just a duration complement.
    2. The carpenter slipped off the ladder. Off the ladder >>> ( adverb) = where
    for me, it looks like an indirect object.
    Look what the dictionary says about "to slip off":
    slip off [sth] vi + prep (slide off) glisser de [qch], tomber de [qch] vtr ind
    How can my favourite vase have slipped off the mantelpiece?
    3. The Mardi Gras parade goes along Canal Street. along Canal Street = Adverb (where )
    where does he go ? along Canal Street but what does it go along? Canal Street. I see it more as an object to a verb.
    4. Ms. Reyes solved the problem about your claim.
    about your claim ( which problem) modifies the word noun problem, so in this case= Adjective
    6. Many of the viewers responded to the poll. Adv to the poll >> ( how they respond modifies the verb )
    But it is more an attribution, not the way they did it. How did they respond ? Courteously. Who did they respond to ? To the customers.
    7. The information in the ad was incorrect.
    in the ad > ( which information we are telling about = the information in the ad , so Adjective
    You say adjective because it applies to information, but if I said the information there was incorrect, would you say that there is adjectival ??

8. In summer we eat dinner on the porch. on the porch = clear it tells about location (Where), so adv
    No, I can't see how "how" would be relevant here.

10. The paper with no title belongs to me. = Which paper, so adjective
    I would rather say indirect object.
    12. The dime slipped between the slates of the boardwalk. Where adv
    14. Two of the candidates withdrew after the first primary. When ( time) ( adv)
    17. People in street shoes aren’t allowed in the gym. Adjective ( those who are wearing street shoes )
    But if it were People in street shoes can go to the gym, what would you say? It is the same , but it wouldn'tbe "adjective"

19. The country of Burma isolates itself from the West. Adjective (of Burma ) specialized ( which country )
    No

I contemplate something, direct object, I think of something, indirect object.

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from mohammad51, posted on 29-01-2021 at 15:18:26 (D | E)
    Hello
    Good afternoon dear teacher gerondi as well as all teachers in the forum.
    Firstly, you are my teacher online and you helped me many times. I respect you
    Secondly, I agree with some point of views with you to say for some examples a prepositional comes after the verb = object
    But the most common nouns are objects to the preposition. I
    I never heard a preposition or a prepositional phrase = object of the verb
    If complement = Yes
    Link

2. The carpenter slipped off the ladder. Off the ladder Yes , but it is also ( adverb ) = location perhaps he didn't slip off the ladder but off the stage ... Anyway .. It tells where he slipped off I agree with you as well
    How can my favourite vase have slipped off the mantelpiece?
    where does he go ? along Canal Street but what does it go along? Canal Street. I see it more as an object to a verb.
    My view is also the same with 2 = Where he goes ( modifies the verb goes )
    I agree with you say object, but don't forget (( It is mostly the preposition has object )) and we say object of the preposition
    ----
    A prepositional phrase is a group of words consisting of a preposition, its object, and any words that modify the object. Most of the time, a prepositional phrase modifies a verb or a noun. These two kinds of prepositional phrases are called adverbial phrases and adjectival phrases, respectively
    He arrived in time . Time = object of ( in )
    Link

4 Thank you I forgot to explain and it is similar to other questions I tacked ( adjectives ) 19 is one of them
    No You say ( No ) but many books adapts the same way
    I can't upload a photo to here, so I want to give a link to one of my posts in Grammar Stacks One question of these I posted there and I attached a photo to
    However, it is not necessary here is the information which copied from the book : Holt Handbook CD-ROM Version 5
    The Adjective Phrase
    3c. A prepositional phrase that modifies a noun or a pronoun is
    called an adjective phrase.
    An adjective phrase tells what kind(s) or which one(s).
    EXAMPLE Many of these books include short stories for young
    readers. [Of these books modifies the pronoun Many,
    telling which ones. For young readers modifies the noun
    short stories, telling what kind.]
    Lastly, I respect your views
    Thank you
    Good by

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from gerondif, posted on 29-01-2021 at 15:28:47 (D | E)
    Hello
    Maybe I am not used to the English description of these grammar aspects. My grammar was learnt in the seventies...
    prepositional verbs and adverbial verbs can be tricky.
    You can understand: He fell//off the table. Or : He fell off//the table.
    He gave up// the fight is different from He went //up the street.

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from mohammad51, posted on 29-01-2021 at 15:56:00 (D | E)
    Hello
    For sentence 2 I agree with you dear teacher gerondif

2. The carpenter slipped off the ladder. Off the ladder
    Slip off if it is a ( phrasal verb )
    Yes ( the ladder ) = object of it
    But here and according to the quiz it is considered a prepositional phrase ( off the ladder )
    The quiz I got from here Google drive ( not solved )
    Link

It is also found in one site ESL ( not solved ) and users there request its owner ( author ) to send them answers.
    Perhaps he is not its author, because I noticed in ( Grammar 101 ) online.
    And most users on ESL site are not natives
    This site is never free they wanted me to pay and I refused simply I haven't a device of paying
    I didn't remember how I reached there. Second time I tried to find it but ( disappeared )
    It is in one of these links opened on the right hand. Just click on it and the answers will appear
    I myself couldn't create account there. Simply I mentioned above I haven't any credit card or visa card
    You see I clicked on and a message directly appeared :
    Tests and quizzes are reserved for account holders.
    Please log in.
    Link

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from gerondif, posted on 30-01-2021 at 18:12:56 (D | E)
    Hello
    After reading the link about the lesson and the exercice, I see what they want to do. I don't find it useful but here is what I would do :
    1. Walt scored fourteen points in twenty minutes. (adv phrase applies to scored.)
    2. The carpenter slipped off the ladder. Off the ladder ( adverbial phrase, applies to slip)
    3. The Mardi Gras parade goes along Canal Street. (Adverbial phrase, applies to goes)
    4. Ms. Reyes solved the problem about your claim. Adjectival phrase, applies to a noun, problem)
    5. The tape pulled a patch of paint from the wall. (Adverbial phrase, applies to pulled)
    6. Many of the viewers responded to the poll. Adverbial phrase, applies to responded)
    7. The information in the ad was incorrect. Adjectival phrase, applies to a noun, information
    8. In summer we eat dinner on the porch. (Adverbial phrase, applies to eat)
    9. The bank served coffee to the customers in line. (Adverbial phrase, applies to served)(in line would be adjectival, applies to customers)
    10. The paper with no title belongs to me. Adjectival phrase, applies to a noun, paper)
    11. During the bus ride I talked with my seat mate. (Adverbial phrase, applies to talked)
    12. The dime slipped between the slates of the boardwalk. (Adverbial phrase, applies to slipped)
    13. Gold and silver jewelry rose sharply in price. (Adverbial phrase, applies to rose)
    14. Two of the candidates withdrew after the first primary. When (Adverbial phrase, applies to withdrew)
    15. Few of the landlords live on the premises.(Adverbial phrase, applies to live)
    16. The watchdog slept under the counter. (Adverbial phrase, applies to slept)
    17. People in street shoes aren’t allowed in the gym. (Adjectival phrase, applies to a noun, people)
    18. At the party Ed danced only with Sue. (Adverbial phrase, applies to danced)
    19. The country of Burma isolates itself from the West. Adjectival phrase, applies to a noun, country
    20. Nobody but Sue could think of a plan like that. (Adverbial phrase, applies to think)

I find this exercice extremely mechanical, you just have to see if the prepositional phrase applies to a noun or to a verb; I fail to see the interest of it or what it teaches to people learning English as a foreign langage.

It is more interesting to make a difference between:

He took off his shoes / He took his shoes off. off is an adverb
    He fell off the ladder (he fell the ladder off would be wrong) off is a preposition.

Re: Prepositional phrases/function from mohammad51, posted on 18-02-2021 at 09:32:01 (D | E)
    Hello
    Thank you very much dear teacher gerondif
    I agree wit you
    You said in the last two lines there is difference:
    He took off his shoes / He took his shoes off. off is an adverb
    He fell off the ladder (he fell the ladder off would be wrong) off is a preposition.

I know the difference and it is :
    A. Prepositions have objects either noun or a pronoun (( the word followed the preposition)).
    B. Whereas adverbs don't have objects ( simply they modify verbs, adjectives and other adverbs.
    This above is the main difference between prepositions and adverbs.
    -------
    I agree with the idea stating functions to the preposition or prepositional phrase.
    Many books and many authors have mentioned many times.( online or offline)
    The key how to distinguish the function of a preposition phrase I think it is simple.
    It is always the preposition phrase come closer to the item it modifies.

2. The carpenter slipped off the ladder. ADV) ( off the ladder is closer to the verb rather than the noun )

Ms. Reyes solved the problem about your claim. ADJ ( about your claim ) = closer to the word noun problem rather than to the verb solved.
    People in street shoes aren’t allowed in the gym. ( in street shoes = adj = who are wearing street shoes not other ones so it is likely the relative clause is reduced
    Anyway, if a preposition phrase answers the question ( what , who , which ) = adjective ( functions adj )
    And if it tells or answers ( how , to what extent, process etc... ) then no doubt = adv
    Why people feel hard to get it; this is because you say preposition phrase, so how comes adjective.
    If you say (functions ) perhaps people or learners think it is clear and no additional doubts come to them.
    I got it and understood
    Thank you very much for commenting

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Recevez une leçon par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU DE FRANÇAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
    Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provencal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] [Plan du site] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies.
    | Cours et exercices de français 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux