Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Relatives/correction

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Relatives/correction
Message from mohammad51 posted on 24-10-2021 at 13:00:16 (D | E | F)
Hello

Please proofread my answers.
Thank you in advance.

1 This is the book what about I was telling you. ( which instead of what)

2 There's a new machine at the gym I think you would really like it.

(Though I solved below, this sentence makes me confused)

At the gym, there is a new machine which \ that you would really like.

( Remove it and move the prepositional phrase to the front position so that to avoid confusing with the modifier).

The relative pronoun can be omitted ( object pronoun) >> You really like \ would like

3 We're travelling to Dubai, where I've always wanted to visit.

( which not where identifies the city- which city ?) Non-defining because identified by a name.

4 I was worrying about my luggage, that I'd forgotten to weigh before we left. >> ( remove comma )
That is not set by comma >> That is used in defining relative clauses only.

5 Chris, who his father owns the company, always works really hard. >> ( whose instead of who )

6 I've finally had to replace my old car, I've had since I passed my test. >> ( which I have had )

------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 24-10-2021 15:09
grey

Re: Relatives/correction from gerondif, posted on 25-10-2021 at 08:39:23 (D | E)
Hello
This is what I would have written
This is the book /*/that/which/I was telling you about.

At the gym, there is a new machine which \ that you would really like.

3 We're travelling to Dubai, a place (that) I've always wanted to visit.

4 I was worrying about my luggage that I'd forgotten to weigh before we left.

5 Chris, whose father owns the company, always works really hard.

6 I finally had to replace my old car, a car I'd had since I passed my test. >> (that/ which I have had )

Re: Relatives/correction from westen, posted on 26-10-2021 at 17:02:51 (D | E)
Hi there!

I'm a native English speaker. While there are a few different ways to write your answers, these are how I would have written them naturally...

1. This is the book that I was telling you about.
2. There's a new machine at the gym that I think you might really like.
3. We're traveling to Dubai, which I've always wanted to visit.
4. I was so worried about my luggage that I had forgotten to weight it before we left.
5. Chris, whose father owns the company, always works very hard.
6. I ended up having to replace my car, which I've had since I passed my test.

I hope this helps! 😊

------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 27-10-2021 08:27
Thank you for being helpful on the forum.
However it would be better if you could just show the mistakes, not really correct them.

Re: Relatives/correction from mohammad51, posted on 07-11-2021 at 22:09:12 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you both teachers gerondif and westen

---
Dear teacher westen I don't agree with your sentence :

There's a new machine at the gym that I think you might really like.

Here ( that) in your sentence refers to the noun ( gym )
So, it makes confusion; which one we want to modify the machine or the gym
And for this reason, I separated the prepositional, and put it at the beginning.

Re: Relatives/correction from lucile83, posted on 08-11-2021 at 07:36:21 (D | E)
Hello,
In my opinion there isn't any confusion about that sentence:

Re: Relatives/correction from mohammad51, posted on 08-11-2021 at 14:20:31 (D | E)
Hello,

Thank you dear teacher lucile83

In the sentence you recommend ( that as a conjunction ) = relative pronoun, so it is a complex sentence.

How it looks if I rewrite using a semicolon to make a compound sentence instead of a complex ?

There's a new machine at the gym; I think you would \ might really like it.

Re: Relatives/correction from lucile83, posted on 08-11-2021 at 16:25:53 (D | E)
Hello,

There's a new machine at the gym that I think you might really like. Here I understand you focus on the fact that there is a new machine.

There's a new machine at the gym; I think you would\might really like it. Here I understand you focus on the fact that it is at the gym.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux