Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Noun clause/adverb clause

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Noun clause/adverb clause
Message from mohammad51 posted on 13-12-2021 at 16:24:05 (D | E | F)
Hello
Please help with this sentence I mentioned below.
Thank you in advance.

Is it a noun clause or an adverb clause ?
The following sentence I got it from one book in Google.

Applications of Grammar: Analysis of Effective Communication, Book 3
By Garry J. Moes, Ed Shewan

It is clear [ that you do not know the facts].

The author told it is adverb clause supporting his pretext that the clause ( that you do not know the facts ) modifies the adjective ( clear).
For me, it is reasonable that an item of grammar once modifies an adjective = no doubt that item is adverb.

On the other hand, Indian authors would say : It is a noun clause ( appositive of the impersonal pronoun it)

I find myself far away from those Indians and their learning or teaching the grammar.
I know they have special ways of understanding the grammar.

So, what is your opinion,please ?

Re: Noun clause/adverb clause from gerondif, posted on 15-12-2021 at 12:44:35 (D | E)
Hello
For me, when an adverb modifies an adjective, it is a matter of intensity or manner.
He is extremely clever, he is surprisingly clever, it is very heavy.

It is clear [ that you do not know the facts]. You could be tempted to describe it as an object clause, thinking of sentences like I can see / I notice / I proclaim that you do not know the facts.

But your sentence means :
It is clear [ that you do not know the facts]. Your not knowing the facts is clear. Your ignorance of the facts is clear.
In my language, I would describe "it" as an apparent subject and "that you do not know the facts" as the real subject. That's for the function of the words.
For me, your sentence is an object to the adjective.

But I see no grounds on which to call it an adverb clause.

Re: Noun clause/adverb clause from mohammad51, posted on 22-12-2021 at 01:13:58 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you very much dear teacher gerondif

I got it just two minutes after I asked my question
It is a noun clause
It can replace it, so it is a substitution

That book and its author made me confused
Wrong analysis of the sentence by him
As you said, we can easily test it :
It is clear [ that you do not know the facts].
That you do not the facts is clear.

There is an example in Arabic when both matters look equal
They would say : For someone whose name is Hassan
whose head is bald is the same to say bald-headed
So our Hassan is this type ( No difference )

Thank you again dearest teacher gerondif

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux