Cours de français gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

• Accueil
  • Accès rapides
  • Imprimer
  • Livre d'or
  • Plan du site
  • Recommander
  • Signaler un bug
  • Faire un lien

• Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon de français !

> Recommandés:
    -Jeux gratuits
    -Nos autres sites

Verbs and prepositions/help

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Verbs and prepositions/help
    Message de bernard02 posté le 19-03-2012 à 03:55:58 (S | E | F)
    Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

je dois rendre les exercices suivants pour ce soir, pouvez-vous me dire s'ils sont corrects ou s'il y a des corrections et des améliorations à apporter?
    Mes réponses sont après les flèches. Je vous remercie d'avance.

Exercises for the nineteenth of March 2012.

- Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.

Example : 1 Sue said I was selfish. She accused me of being selfish.

2 The misunderstanding was my fault, so I apologised. I apologised …..............
    → I apologised for my fault and the misunderstanding.

3 She won the tournament, so I congratuled her. I congratulated her …................
    → I congratuled her on her tournament.

4 He has enemies but he has a bodyguard to protect him. He has a bodyguard to protect him …........
    → He has a bodyguard to protect him from (against) enemies.

5 There are 11 players in a football team. A football team consists …............
    → A football team consists of 11 players.

6 She eats only bread and eggs. She lives ….............
    → She lives on bread and eggs.

- Complete the second sentence using for or on. (These sentences all have blame.)

Example : 7 Kay said that what happened was Jim's fault. Kay blamed Jim for what happened.

8 You always say everything is my fault. You always blame me ….......
    → You always blame me for everything.

9 Do you think the economic crisis is the fault of the government? Do you blame the government …....... → Do you blame the government for the economic crisis?

10 I think the increase in violent crime is because of television. I blame the increase in ….....
    → I blame the increase in violent crime on the television.

Now rewrite sentences 9 and 10 using … to blame for …

11 (9) Do you think the government ….........
    → Do you think the government is to blame for the economic crisis?

12 (10) I think that ….......
    → I think that the television is to blame for the increase in violent crime.

- Complete the sentences using one of the following verbs (in the correct form) + the correct preposition:

accuse apologise (approve) congratulate depend live pay

Example : 1 His parents don't approve of what he does, but they can't stop him.

2 When you went to the theatre with Paul, who ….............. the tickets?
    → When you went to the theatre with Paul, who paid the tickets?

3 It's not very pleasant when you are …............. something you didn't do.
    → It's not very pleasant when you are accused of something you didn't do.

4 'Are you playing tennis tomorrow?' 'I hope so. It ….............. the weather.'
    → 'Are you playing tennis tomorrow?' 'I hope so. It depends on the weather.'

5 Things are very cheap there. You can ….............. very little money.
    → Things are very cheap there. You can live on very little money.

6 When I saw Dave, I …............ him …............ passing his driving-test.
    → When I saw Dave, I congratulated him on passing his driving-test.

7 You were very rude to Fiona. Don't you think you should ….............. her?
    → You were very rude to Fiona. Don't you think you should apologise to her?

- Put in the correct preposition. If no preposition is necessary, leave the space empty (-).

Example : 1 Three students were suspected of cheating in the examination.

2 Sally is often not well. She suffers ….......... very bad headaches.
    → Sally is often not well. She suffers from very bad headaches.

3 You know that you can rely …........ me if you ever need any help.
    → You know that you can rely on me if you ever need any help.

4 It is terrible that some people are dying …........... hunger while others eat too much.
    → It is terrible that some people are dying of hunger while others eat too much.

5 Are you going to apologise …........ what you did?
    → Are you going to apologise for what you did?

6 The accident was my fault, so I had to pay …........... the damage.
    → The accident was my fault, so I had to pay for the damage.

7 I didn't have enough money to pay …..... the bill.
    → I didn't have enough money to pay (-) the bill.

8 I complimented her …......... her English. She spoke fluently and made very few mistakes.
    → I complimented her on her English. She spoke fluently and made very few mistakes.

9 She hasn't got a job. She depends …......... her parents for money.
    → She hasn't got a job. She depends on her parents for money.

10 I don't know whether I'll go out tonight. It depends …........ how I feel.
    → I don't know whether I'll go out tonight. It depends (-) how I feel (or, it depends on how I feel).

11 They wore warm clothes to protect themselves …........... the cold.
    → They wore warm clothes to protect themselves from (or against) the cold.

12 The apartment consists …........... three rooms, a kitchen and bathroom.
    → The apartment consists of three rooms,

-------------------
    Modifié par lucile83 le 19-03-2012 06:14

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de notrepere, postée le 19-03-2012 à 05:14:25 (S | E)
    Hello

2 The misunderstanding was my fault, so I apologised. I apologised …..............
    → I apologised for my fault and the misunderstanding.
    Je dirais: I apologised for the misunderstanding which was my fault.

3 She won the tournament, so I congratuled her. I congratulated her …................
    → I congratulated her on her (win = gérondif) the tournament.

4 He has enemies but he has a bodyguard to protect him. He has a bodyguard to protect him …........
    → He has a bodyguard to protect him from (against) his enemies.

→ When you went to the theatre with Paul, who paid [ ] the tickets?

→ I don't know whether I'll go out tonight. It depends (-) how I feel.

11 They wore warm clothes to protect themselves …........... the cold.
    → They wore warm clothes to protect themselves against the cold.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de bernard02, postée le 19-03-2012 à 05:29:16 (S | E)
    Hello notrepere,

thanks, but there isn't anything else?

Regards.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de notrepere, postée le 19-03-2012 à 05:36:56 (S | E)
    Hello, I think everything else is OK but it's possible I missed something. If you have a specific question, let me know.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de bernard02, postée le 19-03-2012 à 05:41:51 (S | E)
    Hello,

"2 When you went to the theatre with Paul, who ….............. the tickets?
    → When you went to the theatre with Paul, who paid [ ] the tickets?".

I don't understand. Should I write 'who paid for" instead of 'who paid the tickets'?

Thanks.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de notrepere, postée le 19-03-2012 à 05:48:25 (S | E)
    Hello,

Yes, the instructions say that you must include a preposition. "Complete the sentences using one of the following verbs (in the correct form) + the correct preposition"

Lien internet

I'll pay for the tickets.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de bernard02, postée le 19-03-2012 à 05:58:18 (S | E)
    Hello,

yes, but it is said also without preposition sometimes, for example: to pay a bill, a fare, a rent, a sum of money, and there it is said that we must put (-).
    So, I'll (see) have a look at your link because I don't understand very well when I must put 'for' (or not) (behind)after "pay".
    Regards.

-------------------
    Modifié par willy le 19-03-2012 14:05

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de willy, postée le 19-03-2012 à 14:18:22 (S | E)
    Hello!

You pay for something that is bought, in return for goods or services:

You pay for a drink, a meal, a book, ...

You may also have to pay for a mistake or make somebody pay for it.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de bernard02, postée le 20-03-2012 à 19:26:30 (S | E)
    Bonjour,

la correction de cet exercice, qui devait être faite lors de mon cours d'hier soir, a été reportée à lundi prochain.

Je vous tiendrai informés et je vous remercie encore pour votre aide.

Cordialement.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de bernard02, postée le 27-03-2012 à 02:42:01 (S | E)
    Bonjour,

la correction de cet exercice, qui avait été reportée à hier soir, a été à nouveau reportée à lundi prochain.

Je vous tiendrai informés et je vous remercie encore pour votre aide.

Cordialement.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de bernard02, postée le 27-03-2012 à 02:52:31 (S | E)
    Désolé, mais j'avais oublié de vous montrer ce que j'ai modifié et ce que je vais rendre en fonction de vos remarques. N'hésitez-pas à me signaler les éventuelles erreurs résiduelles s'il vous plaît.

Merci d'avance.

Exercises for the nineteenth of March 2012.

- Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.

Example : 1 Sue said I was selfish. She accused me of being selfish.

→ I apologised for the misunderstanding which was my fault.

3 She won the tournament, so I congratulated her. I congratulated her …................
    → I congratulated her on her winning the tournament.

→ He has a bodyguard to protect him from (against) his enemies.

5 There are 11 players in a football team. A football team consists …............
    → A football team consists of 11 players.

6 She eats only bread and eggs. She lives ….............
    → She lives on bread and eggs.

- Complete the second sentence using for or on. (These sentences all have blame.)

Example : 7 Kay said that what happened was Jim's fault. Kay blamed Jim for what happened.

8 You always say everything is my fault. You always blame me ….......
    → You always blame me for everything.

9 Do you think the economic crisis is the fault of the government? Do you blame the government …....... → Do you blame the government for the economic crisis?

10 I think the increase in violent crime is because of television. I blame the increase in ….....
    → I blame the increase in violent crime on television.

Now rewrite sentences 9 and 10 using … to blame for …

11 (9) Do you think the government ….........
    → Do you think the government is to blame for the economic crisis?

12 (10) I think that ….......
    → I think that television is to blame for the increase in violent crime.

- Complete the sentences using one of the following verbs (in the correct form) + the correct preposition:

accuse apologise (approve) congratulate depend live pay

Example : 1 His parents don't approve of what he does, but they can't stop him.

→ When you went to the theatre with Paul, who paid for the tickets?

3 It's not very pleasant when you are …............. something you didn't do.
    → It's not very pleasant when you are accused of something you didn't do.

4 'Are you playing tennis tomorrow?' 'I hope so. It ….............. the weather.'
    → 'Are you playing tennis tomorrow?' 'I hope so. It depends on the weather.'

5 Things are very cheap there. You can ….............. very little money.
    → Things are very cheap there. You can live on very little money.

6 When I saw Dave, I …............ him …............ passing his driving-test.
    → When I saw Dave, I congratulated him on passing his driving-test.

7 You were very rude to Fiona. Don't you think you should ….............. her?
    → You were very rude to Fiona. Don't you think you should apologise to her?

- Put in the correct preposition. If no preposition is necessary, leave the space empty (-).

Example : 1 Three students were suspected of cheating in the examination.

2 Sally is often not well. She suffers ….......... very bad headaches.
    → Sally is often not well. She suffers from very bad headaches.

3 You know that you can rely …........ me if you ever need any help.
    → You know that you can rely on me if you ever need any help.

4 It is terrible that some people are dying …........... hunger while others eat too much.
    → It is terrible that some people are dying of hunger while others eat too much.

5 Are you going to apologise …........ what you did?
    → Are you going to apologise for what you did?

6 The accident was my fault, so I had to pay …........... the damage.
    → The accident was my fault, so I had to pay for the damage.

7 I didn't have enough money to pay …..... the bill.
    → I didn't have enough money to pay (-) the bill.

8 I complimented her …......... her English. She spoke fluently and made very few mistakes.
    → I complimented her on her English. She spoke fluently and made very few mistakes.

9 She hasn't got a job. She depends …......... her parents for money.
    → She hasn't got a job. She depends on her parents for money.

→ I don't know whether I'll go out tonight. It depends (-) how I feel (or, it depends on how I feel).

11 They wore warm clothes to protect themselves …...... the cold.
    → They wore warm clothes to protect themselves against the cold.

12 The apartment consists …....... three rooms, a kitchen and bathroom.
    → The apartment consists of three rooms, a kitchen and bathroom.

Cordialement.

Réponse: Verbs and prepositions/help de bernard02, postée le 03-04-2012 à 04:16:11 (S | E)
    Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

nous avons corrigé la totalité de cet exercice hier soir, j'ai pu faire un "sans faute" grâce à votre aide.

Cordialement.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Recevez une leçon par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU DE FRANÇAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
    Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provencal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] [Plan du site] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies.
    | Cours et exercices de français 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux